This Slovenian inspired bread is filling, and deliciously fruity and nutty. This keeps really well in an airtight container. Its also delicious toasted, with butter spread on it. Serves 12 people.
350 ml water
200g Tropical Wholefoods Fairtrade sun dried apricots
2 tbsp butter
120 ml maple syrup / Fairtrade honey
1 egg beaten
1 tsp Fairtrade vanilla extract
1 tsp freshly grated orange rind
100g Tropical Wholefoods apricot kernels
175 g plain flour
110 g whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 150 C.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring water and apricots to the boil and then simmer until soft, for ten minutes.
3. Add the butter, maple syrup, egg, vanilla and orange rind and stir well until butter melts. Remove the mixture from the heat.
4. Roughly chop apricot kernels then toast under a hot grill for a few minutes keeping a careful eye so that they do not burn. Tip onto a cool plate.
5. Sift together flours, salt, soda and baking powder. Fold dry ingredients into the apricot mixture. Add the apricot kernels and blend well.
6. Line a 23cm x 23cm roasting tin with baking paper and grease the paper with the vegetable oil.
7. Spread the batter evenly into the lined tin. Bake for an hour or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out cleanly. Allow the bread to cool for several minutes before turning it out.
8. Slice and butter. The bread also toasts well too.