This is lovely, filling, winter-comfort food. It's very easy to make, and all from ingredients you can keep for months in your cupboard. Kate often makes this when she goes camping.
50g Tropical Wholefoods Fairtrade sun dried apricots
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbs olive oil
2 tsp ground cardamon
250g red split lentils
1 litre vegetable stock
Freshly ground pepper and salt
1. Rinse lentils in a sieve under running water. Drain.
2. Chop apricots into roughly 1cm pieces.
3. Chop onion and garlic finely and gently fry in olive oil until soft.
4. Add cardamon and stir around for 15 seconds.
5. Add apricots and lentils, stir for 1 minute.
6. Add 1 litre of vegetable stock. Simmer on low heat for half hour.
7. Puree, season with salt and pepper and serve with brown bread or rice.