This tea bread is very tasty and low in fat (at least until you spread it with butter – yummy). It's easy to make and if you don't eat it all at once, keeps very well in an airtight container. Its also delicious toasted.
500ml of strong Fairtrade tea
200g Tropical Wholefoods Chewy Banana Chips
200g Tropical Wholefoods Bogoya Banana
130g Fairtrade Demerara sugar
125g Walnuts (roughly chopped)
1 large egg beaten into 2 tbsp milk
450g organic self raising flour.
1. Heat oven to 170C/320F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Soak bananas and raisins for 60 minutes in well brewed tea.
3. Line two roasting tins of 23cm x 23cm and 22cm x 11cm with baking paper and grease the paper with vegetable oil.
4. Place soaked fruit in food processor and blend for a minute.
5. Pour into a bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients.
6. Pour the mixture into the lined tins and spread evenly. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for about 40 minutes until golden brown on top and springy to the touch in the centre.
7. Straight away, turn onto a wire rack. As soon as it's cool, slice, toast and butter.